History of Reunion Island
- 1507 The Island is officially seen by Tristan da Cunha, on february 1507, the 9th, St Apolline 's day
- 1518 The Island of Santa Apolonia is present on a portuguese map. Two yaers later, with Rodrigues and Mauritius, they are called Islas Mascarenhas, from the name of a sailer on the road to Goa.
- 1642 The Island, where boats on the road to India are used to put into port, is touched down by the French boat: Saint Louis
- 1646 The governor of Fort Dauphin (Madagascar) send into exile 12 mutineers to the Island. It is now called Mascarin.
- 1649 Flacourt, Madagascar governor, takes possession of the Isalnd in the name of the King of France. It gives it the name Bourbon.
- Saint Paul becomes the capital city of the Island.
- 1735 Huge works of governor Mahé de la Bourdonnais. The last dodo dies. (it is a bird close from the one of Mauritius)
- 1746 Bankrupt of "la Compagnie des Indes". The Fing of France buys the Bourbon Island.
- 1793 A Convention decree name it Reunion Island without any particular reason.
- 1810-1814: English occupation. Some 70000 inhabitants.
- 1848 (December, the 20th) Slavery is abolished by governor Sarda Gariga. The 20th of december is always a national day: la fête Kaf'
- 1870 The Suez canal opens. Reunion Island is no longer a touch town place for boats.
- 1946 La Réunion becomes a French department.
Back to Réunion island.